Saturday 1 April 2006

The Joy Of The New

Discovering a new band: It is surely one of the greatest joys there is in life.

Now I use the words 'discovering' and 'new' tentatively, because firstly it is unlikely that no-one has not heard of the band before and secondly that the band does not have to be new. Simply, it is the process of falling in love with a band that you never really considered before.

For example, about four years ago this writer was aware of a band called The Doors. Old group, Light My Fire, not interested, I thought. That was until I listened to their best of and in particular the live version of Roadhouse Blues. As soon as I heard Jim Morrison screaming the infamous lyrics: "I woke up this morning and got myself a beer, the future's uncertain and the end is always near", I instantly understood everything.

And that is the secret to why we fall in love with certain bands: Because somehow, their music, their lyrics, their artwork, their image, everything - it all adds up to the perfect explanation of how we feel at a certain point in time. That time is right now. And nothing can better articulate how we feel than a band that we love.

The Doors: So far ahead of their time that they're still cool.

Fast forward to the present and The Zutons with Tired of Hanging Around. Now, I quite liked You Will You Won't, the big single from their debut album Who Killed The Zutons, but I didn't really give them much thought other than that. However, when I heard their new single Why Won't You Give Me Your Love, something clicked inside of me. Principally the part of my brain where pleasure and excitement lives. I was excited, I knew that this was a band of rare quality and who promised much more.

The first listen of ...Hanging Around didn't disappoint. Everything in the title track confirmed what I'd already thought: That I had found a new musical love. Witness their lyrics: "These should be the best years of your life, but you worry all the goodness away". Yes, that is me. The perfect marriage of rolling drumbeats, sonic guitars and heartfelt lyrics, resulting in joy, pure joy!

The Zutons: Cheer up, we love you!

As per normal, I seem to have fallen upon a new love a bit too late, as their gig at The Junction has sold out (a similar thing happened with The Mighty Boosh). However, thank fuck for the modern miracle/car boot sale that is eBay.

How does it feel? It feels fucking great thanks, Zutons.

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Twitter